Pomegranate originates from the Middle East, with finds such as fossilized leaves, branches and seeds dating back to the Early Bronze Age (3500–2000 BC).
Since ancient times, its consumption has been associated with many health benefits. Pomegranate is a well-known source of valuable nutrients. Contains tannins, flavonols, anthocyanins, and phenolic and organic acids. The edible part of the fruit is at least 50% of the fruit and the rest is the inedible skin. 
Phenolic Compounds in pomegranate peel possess antioxidant properties
Pomegranate peel has therapeutic properties, which is an excellent source of phenolic compounds (flavonoids, phenolic acids, and tannins), protein and bioactive peptides, and polysaccharides . While pomegranate seeds are known for their antioxidant properties, pomegranate peel has high levels of antioxidants, which have been shown to improve cognitive and digestive function .
Pomegranate peel can improve cholesterol and blood sugar
More specifically, pomegranate peel has been shown to lead to improved cholesterol and blood sugar levels in overweight and obese individuals due to its anti-inflammatory properties , as well as to reduce inflammation in the hips and cartilage of arthritic patients .
1. Gullón, P., Astray, G., Gullón, B., Tomasevic, I., & Lorenzo, J. M. (2020). Pomegranate Peel as Suitable Source of High-Added Value Bioactives: Tailored Functionalized Meat Products. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland), 25(12), 2859.
2. Kandylis P, Kokkinomagoulos E. Food Applications and Potential Health Benefits of Pomegranate and its Derivatives. Foods. 2020 Jan 23;9(2):122. doi: 10.3390/foods9020122
3. Tartar JL, Antonio J, Kalman DS, Hewlings SJ, Baisley J, Marang M, Flynn S, Peacock CA. An Evaluation of the Effects of a Non-caffeinated Energy Dietary Supplement on Cognitive and Physical Performance: A Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study. Cureus. 2021 Jul 4;13(7):e16178. PMID: 34367785; PMCID: PMC8336296.
4. Ge G, Bai J, Wang Q, Liang X, Tao H, Chen H, Wei M, Niu J, Yang H, Xu Y, Hao Y, Xue Y, Geng D. Punicalagin ameliorates collagen-induced arthritis by downregulating M1 macrophage and pyroptosis via NF-κB signaling pathway. Sci China Life Sci. 2021 Jun 10. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34125371.
5. Jandylis R, and Kokkinomagoulos E., (2019) ‘’Food Applications and Potential Health Benefits of Pomegranate and its Derivatives’’. Foods.9,122